Wednesday 6 August 2008

The Rocky Horror Show


A group of us went to see The Rocky Horror Show last night.

This Sydney revival has been running for six months and is about to close.

I have only seen the show once previously about thirty years ago when its sexual innuendo, sense of deviance and splashes of nudity were considered scandalous. My biggest memory of that occasion was of my being red faced at times with embarrassment.

Times have changed. Far fewer people would consider this work scandalous nowadays and most would enjoy the fun nature of the show. This production is excellent with its strong Australian cast (iOTA, Paul Capsis et al are terrific) and a large audience was on its feet at the end cheering and dancing along to an encore of The Time Warp dance.

My recollection of the earlier production I saw was that it was mainly black, white and red in appearance but this production is vividly colourful.

A raucous and enjoyable night.

1 comment: