Thursday 31 July 2008

Hospital days

Just arrived home from my third day keeping my mother company in hospital.

The doctors are carrying out tests to determine what caused my mother's drop in blood pressure and twenty minutes period of unresponsiveness last Tuesday. A Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA) or 'mini stroke' remains a likely cause.

I've been doing a bit of reading by mother's bedside, both my current book and a range of celebrity magazines to which I have a minor addiction. The magazines have proven useful as a distraction for my mother. She has shown an interest in flicking through the pages that she hasn't shown for some time since her dementia worsened.

The hospital environment is rather boring. There was a good looking male nurse in Emergency last Tuesday night but he wasn't attending to my mother.


The cuteness 'quotient' of the nursing staff attending to my mother since she was moved to the wards is disappointing. There is one interesting looking wardsman with a nice smile; especially for those who are attracted to the swarthy middle eastern look. I'm hoping the next rotation of nurses includes a more attractive group to enliven my time at the hospital.

Actually, when I think about it, the Doctor attending to my mother isn't too bad on the eye at times. He looks to be in his late 30s or early 40s and I think he is from Sri Lanka. He is reasonably attractive when he smiles.

These comments are not to belittle the work of the staff who are providing diligent care for my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment