Tuesday 3 June 2008

Morning tea

This morning the Hospital held its morning tea for the Volunteers in recognition of Volunteer week.

The management spoke glowingly about our contributions to the hospital and a guest speaker from the NSW volunteer umbrella organisation also commended us. We were shown a short DVD about the role of the volunteers with many of us featured.

It did not escape Cs' notice that I appeared in the DVD twice. Cs announced archly afterwards that "Victor must have been on the casting couch" to attract multiple appearances.

Cs and I were amongst four volunteers to recite prayers during the function. This is not my scene at all as I have no strong religious tendencies. My recitation followed that by Cs whose booming actor's voice would have sounded like Richard Burton in comparison with my droning.


This unnamed cutey is seen enjoying morning tea in Auckland but he was not at our function. A pity, as it would have been fun if we was there.

Chatting with Jl over sausage rolls, mini pies and rainbow sandwiches I discovered that she knows Ae very well. It was surprising after all these years together at the hospital to discover we have Ae in common as a friend.

Male volunteers are in the minority at the hospital. We are outnumbered ten to one by female volunteers. There were four male volunteers at our table for the morning tea and I realised, to my amusement, that all four of us are gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment