Tuesday 10 June 2008

Look Me In The Eye


My current reading is John Elder Robison's Look Me In The Eye which is subtitled My Life with Asperger's (Syndrome).

Robison is the brother of Augusten Burroughs who referred to Robison in his book Running With Scissors.

Robison describes his emotionless way of thinking about issues which apparently is typical of Asperger's behaviour. I found these descriptions, in Dame Edna's term, spooky because some of his thinking seems perfectly sensible to me and mirrors much of my own.

Could it be that I am touched with Asperger's?

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Running with Scissors. If you haven't already read anything by David Sedaris then I highly recommend it.

    Another person of interest but with a more severe autistic disorder is Daniel Tammet. He is gay and lives with his partner in England. He also writes about the emotionless way that he deals with people particulalrly his partner.

    I was so moved after reading Daniel's book and because he also learnt Lithuanian in a week (my mum was from there) that I sent him an e-mail telling him so. He wrote back which was sweet.
    http://www.hha.com.au/books/0340938366.html

    I like your blog BTW. Good luck next year with the Queen's Honours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firehorse - thanks for that information. I have enjoyed Sedaris' books but wasn't aware of Tammet. I'll check him out.

    I'm a regular reader of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. With you that makes 3! lol

    ReplyDelete