Wednesday 18 June 2008

Listen Lady.......I'm Gay

That's what I should have said as soon as I realised she was coming on to me.

My 'fellow' volunteer at the nursing home, Da, is well intentioned if a bit irritating because of her tendency to overreact to nearly everything, no matter how minor. She also talks endlessly and can be quite exhausting if you attempt to follow her conversation all day long.

Her husband died after a short illness late last year and within a month of his death she invited me for dinner and later to the movies. I realised she was coming on to me. I should have outed myself to her straight away - I couldn't believe she didn't already realise - but instead I made the mistake of just trying to shake her off by displaying a lack of interest.

I thought it had worked but I may have underestimated her lack of awareness about sexuality and worse still her persistence. Today, Da gave me this book for my birthday (this coming Friday) and whilst I appreciate her kindness I am nervous that she still is angling to catch me.


She had the book personally signed by the author who along with his wife are close friends of Da's. The endorsement included that I "am an Ace" (yuck!).

Da is the third female over the years to seriously pursue me. I wish I could get similar interest raging in a male friend.

8 comments:

  1. Why can't you just tell her once and for all? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Telling this rather persistent woman what your sexuality is should be your only option. Instead, you could just set a clear boundary by telling her that you are not interested or you could also add that you are flattered by her attention (maybe not).

    If your birthday is this Friday then it is the same day as mine. I've never met another person, apart from Nicole Kidman, born on the 20th. We rock Victor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should have said, "Telling this rather persistent woman what your sexuality is should NOT be your only option."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunshine - I will be.

    Firehouse - Yes, it's June 20. Happy Birthday to you too. My oldest friend was born the same day as me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can fully appreciate your situation here... It certainly adds a fair degree of awkward to a working relationship!

    I'd suggest casually leaving a few copys of DNA in the tea room and asking for her opinion on the boys within next time she is around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm I would tell her that if you had ever wanted to marry there were plenty of chances previously but that you were 'just not interested'. That gives you the chance to be a friend, if it suits you, without the "pressure".

    Be pleased she likes you - see it as a + not a -.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason as I get older, I get more and more girls/women cracking on to me...I have no idea why...as I've always thought that i've become more gay as I've got older! I'm just always really upfront and tell them straight away...some still persist though. It's a bit like gay guys trying to turn straight guys. Bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once I had a female hairstylist (filling in for my regular girl) ask me if I'd like to go out for a drink sometime. She was much younger than me and obviously not very observant.

    I replied "Oh, I'd love to, but I'm afraid my husband probably wouldn't understand." The young stylist blinked twice and said "Oh, okay then."

    Mark :-)

    ReplyDelete