Thursday 12 June 2008

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian


I have not read any of the Narnia books nor did I see the first film in this series. I have never had an interest in tales of talking animals, centaurs or combative trees let alone pubescent students who temporarily turn into Kings and Queens to undertake great quests.

Obviously a lot of other people are so inclined however, which accounts for the full house of families at the session I attended. The children watched this film in rapt attention.

I went because I had seen articles about Ben Barnes who plays the Prince and felt that notwithstanding my lack of interest in mythical tales of this nature that watching Barnes on the giant screen for over two hours would still be a useful way to spend an afternoon.

All that I knew about the first film was that it attracted criticism from the Church for the nature of its spiritual connotations. Either this sequel is very different or I am particularly dimwitted because I was quite oblivious to any religious, let alone contra-religious elements in the film.

The scenery, both landscape and male humans, is very attractive. Barnes is joined by William Moseley, Skandar Keynes and a host of Italian sounding baddies to provide a pleasing cavalcade of male beauty.

I felt a bit sorry for the splendidly named Keynes who alone amongst the four student Kings and Queens had no singular adventure to pursue and is reduced to shining his torch for others and hanging around as an attractive accessory.

Whilst it was all very pretty, I doubt that I will be excited enough to see #3 in the franchise unless male nudity or something similar is introduced. I doubt, though, the others in audience will need such inducement.

1 comment:

  1. I did not like the first one as it seemed to have many sub-plots which did not run all together very cohesively, if at all. THis one was much better as far as its rhythm and pace and keeping track of what's going on; unlike the first one.

    ReplyDelete