Thursday 1 May 2008

What ever happened to...

...store attendants?


I went into Myer at Bondi Junction this morning to pick up a gift card for Ll's birthday. Not only did there seem to be few customers about but I also could not find a store attendant to process my purchase.

I picked up a card from the display panel at a vacant service desk and waited in vain for an attendant to appear. After a while I walked the floor from one vacant service desk to another all the while imagining I was under surveillance by security cameras and that someone was waiting to arrest me for shop lifting.

Eventually I found two women chatting alongside a service desk in the women's shoe department, both casually dressed, who I assumed were customers but it turns out at least one was a staff member. She graciously interrupted her chat to process my purchase.

I wonder how many customers they miss out on by such a sparse staff presence?

No comments:

Post a Comment