Thursday 29 May 2008

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day


...but I didn't really care.

I saw this movie two weekends ago and have only now got around to posting about it. The film is pretty dull and I have to admit that I dozed off several times so it is always possible but unlikely that thrilling moments occurred whilst I was asleep.

Francis McDormand is the sacked and penniless Governess who tricks her way into a position as assistant for Amy Adams' aspiring American starlet. There follows a French style farce set in English society all on her first day with the anachronistic Marilyn Monroe-like Adams.

McDormand is an odd choice for this role which apparently was intended for Emma Thompson; who would be a far more likely Pettigrew. Perhaps McDormand is the name that would sell tickets for this film in the USA.

The film looks fine and there are a number of attractive men to suit gay tastes; but no 'Muscle Marys' in sight. Lee Pace is the brooding piano player, Ciaran Hinds the debonair mature man and Tom Payne plays the pretty boy English twit. It is left to Payne to appear nude providing some interest for lovers of arse and/or armpits.

May suit desperate insomniacs.

3 comments:

  1. Lee Pace was gorgeous in this film, there was no doubt which love interest I was cheering for!

    I enjoyed the farce and while in general it was quitely amusing there were a few laugh out loud moments.

    I thought McDormand played Miss Pettigrew nicely, desperate but still with dignity, and Amy Adams was delightful.

    Maybe it appealed to my dream that one day that the right fate on the right day might change my life and lead to happily-ever-after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul - seen that way, you got more out of the movie than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Thompson is a name I haven't heard in eons. I wonder what she's up to these days. I haven't even heard of this movie yet. Perhaps it hasn't been released in the States? But based on your review, it's not something that I would rush to see; unless you slept through all the "manly" scenes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete