Saturday 19 April 2008

M' Lord

This apartment building in Yurong Street on the eastern edge of the CBD has a mix of memories for me.



The building adjoins my old school. As a lonely schoolboy over 40 years ago, I used to walk past this building on my way to the bus stop to catch my bus home. I always walked alone and often had a transistor radio to my ear. At one stage, Edith Piaf's M' Lord was the current hit and I remember humming along to it as I walked by the building.

It's a memory that remains with me to this day whenever I see the building.

3 comments:

  1. So did you ever dine at Beppi's?

    And why so lonely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcellous - I certainly never dined at Beppi's as a schoolboy! Nor ever as an adult as far as I can recall.

    In those days my school was extremely waspish and straight. A gay boy from a minority group was an easy target for bullying. There were other reasons for loneliness too complex to go into here.

    But I survived. The school's discipline worked in reverse to toughen me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. School query answered !

    ReplyDelete