Friday 21 March 2008

Lust, Caution

Mk and I saw Lust, Caution this afternoon. The story is set in Shanghai and Hong Kong under Japanese occupation in the 1940s. A young woman is used to lure a senior collaborator into a position where he can be assassinated. She has a stormy sexual relationship with the collaborator whose mistress she becomes.

This is a long and slow moving film heavy on atmosphere. The sex scenes in the second half of the film are particularly graphic. We were both impressed by the athletic and flexible nature of the sex portrayed but neither of us feels supple enough to attempt these positions ourselves.

A fellow volunteer at StV hospital walked out of this movie some weeks ago telling me it was slow and boring but Mk and I both enjoyed it. I loved the glimpses of Chinese 'society' life of the times and found the storyline, such as it is, interesting. I also enjoyed the film's varied soundtrack.

Having lived in both Hong Kong and Beijing between 1977 and 1982 I found the images of a pre-Communist China engrossing.

Chatting with Mk before the film I learnt that he has moved in with Rs. This was not a surprise as he told me early in their relationship that he was likely to do this. He moved out of his apartment last Wednesday but in any event I know he has been spending many nights at Rs place leading up to the move.

Rs was on duty this weekend on a flight to/from Hong Kong (ironic given the film we watched). My impression is that Mk was using Rs couple of days away to resume his film going. It might be that Mk sees me as a movie going buddy again for those times when Rs is away at work.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. Noone has ever called me fabulous before!

    ReplyDelete