Sunday 2 March 2008

Hospital visits and coincidences


My mother remains in hospital; this being her fourth day. I have visited each day and I return home weary from hours of placating her. Because of her dementia, my mother cannot fathom what is happening to her and is uncooperative with those medical staff to whom she takes a dislike. She punched one poor doctor yesterday who was attempting to stick those little pads onto her for an ECG. At least she has regained her spirit.

For some reason she has been moved from ward to ward. This morning I found her back in the same ward she had been taken from yesterday afternoon. She still is not eating, yet seems not to be losing any weight.

There are two other patients in her ward and you'd have to wonder what the odds would be that we have a connection with each of them. One of the other patients who apparently was admitted after I finished my visit yesterday comes from the same Nursing Home as my mother. Indeed they have adjoining rooms there. However as both are advanced in their dementia neither has recognised the other.

The third patient who was admitted last evening through the Emergency Department received a number of presumably family visitors this morning. One of them, a male, stared intently at me after a time. I was beginning to imagine that he was hitting on me when he asked 'Do I know you?' What a dangerous question that can be. Anyway his memory is better than mine and it turns out we worked in the same Department about 10 years ago. Once he mentioned a friend in common I did recall him. His now completely grey beard was black in those days.

By the way, the familiar looking gentleman in the photograph was not a visitor to the hospital today. That would have been too much!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your mum. Andrew's (my bf) dad has Alzheimer's - it's heart breaking watching someone lose themselves.

    ReplyDelete