Saturday 16 February 2008

Love thy neighbour


I daydream sometimes about meeting my perfect partner and the ways in which I meet him in those dreams seem limitless.

One daydream that recurs is where the perfect partner moves into my building. I have lived in my apartment building for 18 years. You would think the law of averages would ensure that over a period of 18 years a 36 apartment building would contain more than one gay resident. But unless my gaydar has failed me spectacularly it seems that I am the only one. Well there may have been one gay couple in the building for several months about a year ago but I was never entirely sure about them.

There are two other apartments on my floor. In all the time that I have lived here, the apartment immediately next to mine has never been occupied by anyone younger than 80 and all those occupants have been hetero couples.

The other apartment, conversely, has only ever been occupied by women living alone. Two were widows in their 80s and the other two, including the current occupant, single women in their 30s/40s. The first of these single women had a friend who was a Qantas pilot but he was around rarely and wasn't ever in contention for man of my dreams. The current woman has a male acquaintance who I have heard several times and who I have seen only from the back. Nothing there for me.

Now an apartment on a higher floor is on the market and on display. I've wondered whether this time a gay owner/occupant might snap it up. That would be good but I'm not holding my breath in hope.

When I arrived home this afternoon at 12.30 I noticed four '50 year somethings' inspecting the outside of the building this afternoon just after today's display period. I assume they are interested in the apartment. When I happened to look out my window at about 2.30 they were there again (or was it still) inspecting the building. Two men and two women but neither of the men had looks or character to stir my loins.

I must dream on.

No comments:

Post a Comment