Thursday 17 August 2017

Archie got it wrong.....again

It is that time of year. The Art Gallery of New South Wales is displaying the Archibald Prize; the annual prize for portraiture painting. Most years the Prize raises a degree of controversy which is probably just as well for maintaining interest.

As usual I wasn't all that fussed by most of the finalists on display. Even more usual, this year (yet again) I favoured the pick of the Packers - the men and women who unpack the arriving works for display - over the official winner - chosen by the Trustees of the Gallery.

A few snaps to share the atmosphere, or lack of, at this year's display.





This portrait of media personality Lisa Wilkinson by Peter Smeeth won the Packers' Prize.

(Art Gallery of NSW)

And for the record, this portrait of Agatha Gothe-Snape by Mitch Cairns won the Archibald Prize.

(Art Gallery of NSW)
As the saying goes; I don't know much about art but I know what I like.

2 comments:

  1. The subject in the winning portrait seems to getting her pilates a bit wrong. I too like the Wilkinson painting. The aboriginal bloke is gay and has great difficulty in getting Melbourne taxis to pick him up. I remember that was painted by Ahn Do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Andrew, although I am uncertain whether the Charles painting is the one Ahn Do painted for his television program or another separate painting.

      Delete