Thursday 22 June 2017

Route 389


I think bus route 389 in Sydney must be one of the city's most interesting services. It used to operate between Circular Quay in the city and North Bondi in the eastern suburbs but nearly two years ago the city end of the route was changed to the Maritime Museum on the western edge of the Darling Harbour precinct.

At the time I thought that the change was not particularly convenient for we eastern suburbs residents who more usually head for Circular Quay than for Darling Harbour.

This week I travelled that changed route for the first time and it proved an eye opener for me. Traversing Darling Harbour in itself is quite interesting visually but the real treat is passing through the village and cafe atmosphere in Jones Street Ultimo and the delights of the waterfront at Jones Bay and White Bay.

I tried hard to find a full map of the adjusted route to post but the best I could manage is the western half with the new Maritime Museum destination included.


The full route passes through, or close to, numerous village and cafe locales. Off the top of my head they include Bondi Beach, North Bondi, Dover Heights, Woollahra, Five Ways, East Sydney, the Central Business District, Darling Harbour and Jones Street.

It provides a great opportunity especially for holders of Seniors Opal Cards to use the service as a hop on/hop off service sampling various precincts along the way. I'm going to suggest that friends and I try it ourselves one day.

No wonder our Prime Minister called Route 389 his favourite bus service.

Travelling the full route, according to the timetable, takes around an hour and ten minutes at most times during the day.

2 comments:

  1. Added to the list. We have only caught the 389 to and from Bondi Beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll find it interesting Andrew.

      Delete