Thursday 4 August 2016

Wanted: Neutral or Alive

Why, oh why, do official photographs have to look so awful? The photos of me on my local Drivers License and now on the newly issued International Drivers Permit for next month's overseas trip make me look like a convict just released after 30 years incarceration in Alcatraz.

Unfortunately I am not blessed with a naturally happy looking 'resting' face. Some people's neutral face is a natural smile. Mine is not. My neutral face makes me look unhappy or somehow disapproving.

Government authorities don't like you to smile in their identity photos. They want you to look neutral and in looking neutral - especially with my spectacles removed at their insistence - I look awful.

No wonder I get pulled aside regularly at airports to undergo the bomb residue test.

3 comments:

  1. I once heard that if you inflate your cheeks slightly, you look better in passport type photos. I tried it for my work id photo and it is a somewhat comical result. No, you can't see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that would work for me either, Andrew.

      Delete
  2. I once heard that if you inflate your cheeks slightly, you look better in passport type photos. I tried it for my work id photo and it is a somewhat comical result. No, you can't see it.

    ReplyDelete