Monday 22 August 2016

Food, glorious food

Melbourne's reputation for fine dining I am sure is justified. I've made two visits there in the past month and street level cafes were bristling with customers both times. I imagine finer and more expensive dining is also thriving but I made no attempt to try that out on these visits.

I spent less than twelve hours in the southern capital yesterday and my senses were sorely tempted at several sites in the city.

Hopetoun Tea Rooms
A patient queue suggests the Tea Rooms have quite a reputation
More queues, this time in a laneway for Doughnut Time
A lavish array of doughnuts

I succumbed to temptation at the Arts Centre with this Mango and Pineapple Cheesecake. The chocolate ball was hollow inside.


4 comments:

  1. There are times when you don't have to queue at Hopetoun Tearooms but the seating always looks so cramped, so we have never made the effort. I don't know of the doughnut place, but I rather like Walkers Doughnuts in Flinders Street. Krispy Creme has not been overly successful in Melbourne and many outlets have closed. Melbourne seems to have a habit of rejecting American chain food outlets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krispy Creme burst onto the Sydney scene a decade or so ago and seemed all the rage for a while but you don't hear much about it now. They still have some outlets here. I think I tried one once. I couldn't understand what the fuss was about.

      Delete
  2. I've never managed to get into Hopetoun. I once waited for 40 minutes but then gave up and went elsewhere. As you know Victor, I'm quite partial to scones so one day I have to give it another try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes 40 minutes is a long wait when standing and then still not to get in! Those scones better be filled with gold nuggets!

      Delete