Friday 20 May 2016

Biting the bullet


For the past four years a friend has been vacillating over the sale and purchase of property. She desperately wants to move out of her home of the past thirty years or more which is in a prime location but badly in need of refreshment. She wants something equally well located but smaller and in good condition.

The problem is she is scared. The adventurous, carefree woman I knew when we were in our twenties is a cautious, frightened late 60s senior. Unfortunately she has fallen out with siblings who for decades were her closest and trusted confidantes.

I find myself walking a tightrope. I respond to her requests, almost pleas, for advice but as I am neither legally trained nor expert in real estate processes I want to avoid losing our friendship over some perceived catastrophic decision based on my assistance.

I hope it works out for.....and for me.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, I remember the falling out. Think of what you say to her as opinion, yours, and not advice. Say she has a property in mind, do you like it and why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her obstacle is not so much property selection but the processes involved in negotiating and concluding property purchase/sale.

      Delete