Thursday 5 March 2015

Footsies

I visited the podiatrist today, an appointment I have every six to eight weeks. I have problem feet. I need to wear orthotics to improve my balance and without them my feet become sore if I have to spend even a moderate amount of time walking or standing. I've been attending the same Podiatry practice for about ten years now.

I suppose over that time I've been treated by about half a dozen different Podiatrists. All of them have been young; that is, aged in their 20s or 30s.

A 'model' Podiatrist from Newcastle University

None has been the senior, revered General Practitioner type of my youth. I'm not complaining, some of the men who have treated me have been almost as good looking as the smiling fellow above.

But I wonder why it is that someone fresh from school, or of similar age, decides that playing around with feet for the rest of their lives is the career for them? I don't think that any of my practitioners has been a foot fetishist as such. It's an interesting career choice but not one I would ever have contemplated.

4 comments:

  1. We have a young acquaintance who is a podiatrist. He has suggested we as our doctors to request a statement that we have chronic feet problem and so get heavily subsidised feet treatment. But I don't feel comfortable about someone I know playing with my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two opposing thoughts re your final sentence Andrew but in this instance I agree with you.

      Delete
  2. I am 51 years old and have been wearing orthotics in my shoes since I was a teenager. If I go for many days without them (when wearing flip flops or no shoes at all) I feel pain in my feet, legs and knees. Fortunately regular use of the orthotics have prevented me from needing to visit the podiatrist. My podiatrist was also in his 20s or 30s and attractive. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which begs the question Mark, what happens to Podiatrists when they reach their 40s?

      Delete