Thursday 26 March 2015

Ban names

I'm not one who is into banning things willy nilly but one thing I sometimes wish was subject of banning orders is names. Particular sort of names. Those weirdly spelt given names like Jaxxsen or Caytie and so on which those poor children will have to repeatedly spell and explain for the rest of their lives. Those spellings would be a priority for banning in a world ruled by me.


But also high on my list is a short name that is not weirdly spelt but which always leaves me uncertain about its pronunciation. Marie. A simple name. Quite a gentle and nice name. But is the bearer a Ma-ree or a Mar-ee. I can never tell nor remember.

Ban it!

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you totally on this one Victor. Those made up names drive me to distraction. Isn't there some kind of want to be American celebrity with a baby called "North"? I suppose that's the next three children's names sorted then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then the grandchildren can be 'North-East' etc.

      Delete
  2. Bacardi Anne Coke - Best name ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well MoM, it has the virtue of being easy enough to spell!

      Delete
  3. You are fortunate then to not have a sister in law called Marie, pronounced, Marry. People can always change their name, if they have the stamina for it. Some people know me by one name and some by another. My partner is the one who suffers the most, trying to remember which name to call me by. When family and old friends get together with newer friends, it is problematic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps R should just refer to you as 'Hey you'.

      Delete
  4. Nathan's niece has named her two kids Destiny and Beau. I would like to add those names to the ban list too please (plus any name that is also the name of a State or a city in the US, like Dakota or Dallas).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these names are clearly soap opera inspired. I'm looking at you, Storm, Ridge et al.

      Delete