Wednesday 1 October 2014

At home in Honkers

I lived in Hong Kong from 1977 to 1980 and loved it so I have looked forward to my return today; my first visit in 32 years.

Departing Helsinki overnight where it was 5º the old familiar heat was in evidence here with 33º on arrival. Notices at the Airport warned arriving passengers that travel delays may occur because of 'incident'; an oblique reference to the current street protests against the PRC Government's electoral proposals. Further announcements on the Airport Express to the City revealed those protests had spread from the Central District of Hong Kong Island to the Tsim Sha Tsui district in Kowloon affecting access to some hotels there. My hotel here, the Sheraton, is located very close to that district but so far I haven't come across protestors. Well, not that I've noticed.

Some photos, first of the airport arrival. My previous visits here were through the former Kai Tak Airport, a postage stamp size airport which required a hair raising aeroplane descent literally between roof top apartments. The replacement airport is a much larger and grander replacement.

30 minutes from landing
30 seconds from landing
A much more spacious airport
'Exotic' airlines
Even the 'Wings of Mongolia'

And some photos of the irresistible sight of Hong Kong at night;

View from my hotel room
Hong Kong Island
Hong Kong Island
Hong Kong Island
The grand old Peninsula Hotel

4 comments:

  1. Apart from the weather, Hong Kong looks terrific. As it is easy for us to get there, I am saving a visit there for our old age. It is one of the more interesting airports to fly into before landing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit shocked by my reaction to the heat this time around; looking back to when I lived here I wonder now how I managed with it for 39 months.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, sounds like I have visited. Just a two hour stopover en route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I noticed about descending into HK nowadays is the lack of the sulphurous smell that used to permeate the plane on descent into the old airport.

    ReplyDelete