Tuesday 22 January 2013

That's him, he is one of them......

.....a grumpy old man. Yes, I'm becoming one of them.


I can't go into a bank nowadays without losing my cool and entering into an argument with the staff.

It happened again this morning.

I went into my bank to purchase a modest amount of foreign exchange. All was proceeding smoothly with the attractive young teller with whom I would have flirted when I was three decades younger.

Then he asked me to sign documentation drawing specific attention that my signature would signify acceptance of the bank's privacy policy. I read and twice re-read one dot point in that policy that the bank may disclose my personal information to;

'...our external service providers that provide services for the purpose only of our business, on a confidential basis, for example to a mailing house...'

I concluded this meant my acceptance that the bank could pass on my information leading to me being targeted for unsolicited advertising. The teller couldn't explain the clause to me - although he had drawn my attention to it - but he agreed with my interpretation. I don't think he had a clue.

I asked to see the manager who turned about to be a 40 something suited Queen. He was summarily dismissive of my concern and in precise campy tones he told me, 'if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'. I should have.

2 comments:

  1. Assuming you have some of your vast wealth with the bank, they ought to treat you with more respect. You have lived long enough to not be patronised and put up with such crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, the reality of bank customer service rarely matches the claims in their advertising.

    ReplyDelete