Saturday 14 April 2012

He needed Uncle Sam

The ever prescient Andrew recently retrieved a piece of Australiana from deep down in the memory bank that came to my mind on a bus journey today.

A gorgeous blonde youth boarded the bus and rather thoughtfully, from the perspective of this old queen, took the seat immediately in front of me. Sydney buses tend to be compact so someone sharing a seat with you or sitting on the seat ahead of you is really in close proximity. The thought of sharing the journey with this young man almost in my face, so to speak, was a pleasant one.

The blonde Adonis

As you can see, the Adonis was wearing what we in Australia call a 'singlet' and Americans, I believe, call a 'wife beater'. About five minutes into the journey the Adonis decided to place his right arm across the back of his seat bringing him even closer to me. Splendid, I thought.

This very cosy arrangement continued for a few stops when it dawned on me. Either his deodorant had failed him or he hadn't applied any this morning. Now there are plenty of situations that I won't enter into in this post where I would find this to be not unpleasant, even rather...err...arousing, but that wasn't the case on this bus trip.

What a bitter/sweet journey I found the rest of the trip. He needed 'Uncle Sam'.

4 comments:

  1. Gay and prescient. I have hit the jackpot. I have had a similar experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger, we called that a "tank top." I think "wife beater" is relatively new (like 80s or 90s).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always knew you are a winner, Andrew.

    wcs, 'tank top' is also used here in Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most kind Victor. I have a post written about body odour, but I am not game to post it until I work out how to do it when mentioning race and not being seen as a racist. While I do like the idea of publish and be damned, I do it carefully.

    ReplyDelete